Monday, February 25, 2008

New Years Eve

Stardate Tuesday in the year of our lord November 26, 2002 Revised by author Jan 16, 2008

On the Tayana sailing vessel “Tusentakk” with friends we were toasting New Years Eve. My Scandinavian ears pricked up “Help him, Help him” I flung back the words “baby someone’s in trouble” at Robert a friend of mine. I hit the Tayanas companionway ladder on the fly and then into the cockpit and up onto the deck, I scrambled over the lifelines, grabbed hold of the rum line then away I ran down the finger pier, off in the direction towards our pier.
I assessed the situation, an older couple had recently moved to our pier area and the sounds of distress from the woman’s screams “Help him, help him,” shook my foundation. Robert’s quick thinking ensured the best plan of action; as they say in the navy when you are surrounded by the enemy, you negotiate.
Dangling from Robert’s iron grip on the scruf of his neck was the middle aged neighbor. Robert shoved him back onto the swim ladder of their powerboat. The wife of the powerboat owner upset to say the least. I got her to calm down since Robert had rescued her husband from out of the marina bay. “Our dogs” she cried emotionally.
I knew in my heart that the little dog had only a ghost of a chance. The dog had been in the water too long, exhaustion would overcome the small creature. Since the humans were rescued, I tuned in to the wavelength of the panicked animal, hunters instincts, set all aside, and focused on the animal that belonged to the rescued man.
It was dark this night and difficult to see the animal. My instincts told me to listen, listen. I heard the labored breathing of the dog, and spotted him swimming true to the cause extremely close to our boat. I called, coaxing the animal to me and also drew on the gifts of my ancestors. He swam towards me. I hailed Robert my best friend who at this time was in the canoe we keep moored to side of the Columbia sailing vessel.
Robert grabbed the dog again a rescued mariner by the scruff of the neck and sloshed it into the canoe. The moment the dog was placed on the wooden planked finger pier, his legs collapsed out from underneath his exhausted body.
The adventure was over. An ambulance had been hailed and arrived at pier sixteen. The local politzia had seen all the commotion from across the waters as they were patrolling the island. All was well, but this happened quite awhile back. All the training, instincts and courage will replay like a black and white movie in the theater of your mind just in time, in a panicked situation. Alas a panicked boater will drag you down to your death if you cannot take control of the situation. Play it once more for old time sakes Sam. Sam where is Sam when you need him. I hope he is an experienced boater or we will be rescuing him.

No comments: